So, rice is part of the staple diet of so many people around the world. Here in Nigeria, there are people who are capable of eating rice 3 times a day without fail. And I’m not exaggerating. My younger sisters love rice more than anything. Anytime I ask them what’s so special about rice, they have this “wow, you’ve got to be kidding me” look on their faces.
Therefore, in order to please all rice lovers out there, we’ll be looking at a coconut rice recipe that would definitely knock your socks, boots, shoes, hats and caps off.
Today, we’d be learning how to make a coconut rice with cashew nuts recipe from India. Coconuts have so much nutritious value that I thank whoever it is who thought about using coconut milk and oil to cook. Lol. I am a foodie, after all.
To make Indian Coconut Rice, here’s what you need;
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup freshly ground coconut
- Roasted cashew nuts/pea nuts
- ½ tea spoon (tsp.) of mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger slices chopped to one inch long
- ½ tsp. urad dal (horse beans gram)
- 3 to 4 green chilies (spliced with the seeds removed)
- 2 to 3 tsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
Here’s how to go about cooking;
- Cook the rice in a cooker or a microwave oven ( the rice should not be sticky).
- Heat 1 to 2 spoons of oil.
- While the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds burst, add the other seasoning ingredients and freshly ground coconut.
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes on a low flame without getting the seasonings burnt.
- Switch off the stove and add the rice, salt and the remaining oil to the seasoning.
- Mix well loosely taking care not to mash the rice.
- Add one tea spoon of coconut oil.
- Add roasted peanuts/cashew nuts before serving.
- Serve hot with potato chips.
P.S: For more food recipes, download our app here.